Have you ever heard a song that resonates through your soul? You hear that song come on the radio and your soul feels it. Often times, that song changes depending on what is going on in your life or the emotions you are feeling. One of my absolute favorite artists is Corinne Bailey Rae. Her heartfelt lyrics speak to me and her voice really grabs the attention of my soul.
When we first started dating, my boyfriend made me a CD with some of his favorite songs that spoke to him about how he felt. I absolutely loved every single song but the one I loved the most was by an artist I had never heard of before. Her voice spoke to me and her lyrics lifted my spirit. I downloaded her entire album and memorized nearly every single song on it.
The song that spoke to me the most on Corinne Bailey Rae’s first album was Choux Pastry Heart. The heartfelt lyrics resonated with me. This song is still one of my absolute favorite songs of all time. So when I heard that this week’s Sunday Supper theme was musical inspiration, I knew that I wanted to do something based on this song.
Choux pastry is a light, airy pastry dough that is used to make many of my favorite pastries like éclairs, beignets, and cream puffs. It is a simple dough that is made with butter, water, flour, salt and sometimes sugar. Whenever I hear Choux Pastry Heart, I always see myself in a coffee shop drowning the tears of a broken heart in delicious chocolate pastries and copious amounts of coffee.
Chocolate Cappuccino Cream Puffs
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Keywords: bake dessert chocolate coffee pastry
Ingredients (30 puffs)
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons sugar
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons flout
- 4 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
For the Chocolate Ganache
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate
For the Coffee Whipped Cream
- 1-1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
In a large saucepan, bring the butter, water, sugar and salt to a rolling (or rapid) boil.
Add the flour all at once to the saucepan over medium heat and stir quickly. Continue stirring until the dough forms a ball and pulls away from the sides of the saucepan.
Transfer the dough to large mixing bowl. Using an electric mixer, beat the dough on low speed until the dough is warm to the touch (between 110 F to 140 F).
Add the cocoa powder and one egg to the dough and mix thoroughly on medium speed. Add the remaining eggs one at a time making sure that the eggs are completely mixed into the dough before adding the next one.
Line baking sheets with parchment paper. Using two spoons, drop the dough onto the parchment paper.
Bake for 10 minutes at 425 degrees F. Lower the oven temperature to 375 degrees F and continue baking for 20 to 25 minutes. The puffs should be very crisp and browned. Remove from the oven and allow to cool slowly.
Once the puffs have cooled, slice the top third off. Fill the puffs with the Coffee Whipped Cream (see recipe below).
Replace the tops and drizzle with Chocolate Ganache (see recipe below).
In a small saucepan over medium heat, bring the heavy cream and vanilla to a boil.
While the cream and vanilla are heating, roughly chop the chocolate until it is in small pieces. Add the chocolate to a small mixing bowl.
Once the cream and vanilla has come to a boil, pour the liquid over the chocolate. Stir together until thoroughly mixed.
Allow the chocolate ganache to cool to room temperature. Stir occasionally.
Place a mixing bowl and the whisk attachment for an electric mixer in the freezer for 5 minutes or until thoroughly chilled.
Pour the heavy cream, vanilla and instant coffee in the chilled. Using an electric mixer with the chilled whisk, whip the cream mixture on high until stiff peaks form.
Be sure to check out these other great music inspired recipes form the rest of the Sunday Supper group:
- Calimocho (Red Red Wine Cocktail) from La Cocina de Leslie inspired by Red Red Wine by UB40
- Dark & Stormy Cocktail Recipe from An Appealing Plan inspired by Thunder Road by Bruce Springsteen
- Horchata from Treats & Trinkets inspired by Horchata by Vampire Weekend
- Orange Crush from Magnolia Days inspired by Orange Crush by REM
- Pineapple Lemonade Slushy with Coconut Water from Sue’s Nutrition Buzz inspired by Lemon Tree by Peter, Paul & Mary
- Strawberry Tequila from Shockingly Delicious inspired by Strawberry Fields Forever by The Beatles
- Mustard Dill Beer Bread from Curious Cuisiniere inspired by In Heaven There Is No Beer a German Polka
Intermezzo (Entrees & Sides):
- Chicken and Bacon Cheddar Waffles from I Run For Wine inspired by Glady’s Knight
- Classic Fried Chicken from The Food Army Wife inspired by Chicken Fried by Zac Brown Band
- Margarita Chicken from In The Kitchen With KP inspired by Margaritaville by Jimmy Buffet
- Meatball Duet from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings inspired by On Top of Spaghetti by Tom Glazer
- Pan-Seared Halibut with Corn Hash and Asparagus Puree from Crazy Foodie Stunts inspired by Saturday Night Fish Fry by Louis Jordan
- Slow Cooker Sweet and Spicy BBQ Pulled Pork from Neighborfood inspired by Something Like That by Tim McGraw
- Spaghetti and Pork Meatballs from Family Foodie inspired by On Top of Spaghetti by Kidsongs
- Teriyaki Burger from Juanita’s Cocina inspired by Cheeseburger in Paradise by Jimmy Buffet
- Banana Cream Pie Bars from Peanut Butter and Peppers inspired by Tra La La Song by The Banana Splits
- Banana Pancake Ice Cream with Maple Brittle from Foxes Love Lemons inspired by Banana Pancakes by Jack Johnson
- Cherry Pie from My Cute Bride inspired by Cherry Pie by Warrant
- Cherry Marshmallows from Pies and Plots
- Chocolate Cappuccino Cream Puffs from Runner’s Tales inspired by Choux Pastry Heart by Corinne Bailey Rae
- Chocolate Chip, Walnut and Caramel Banana Bread Ice Cream Sandwich from Ruffles & Truffles inspired by Hollaback Girl by Gwen Stefani
- Chocolate Covered Caramels from Big Bear’s Wife inspired by At Last by Etta James
- Cinnamon Heart Cookies with Biscoff Buttercream from Mess Makes Food inspired by Hungry Heart by Bruce Springsteen
- Coconut Rum Blondies from Gotta Get Baked inspired by I’ve Got A Lovely Bunch of Coconuts by Danny Kaye
- Easy Blueberry Recipe: Fruit Tart from Growing Up Gabel inspired by Blueberry Hill by Fats Domino
- Espresso Nib Ice Cream from Vintage Kitchen Notes inspired by Black Coffee by Ella Fitzgerald
- Fancy Watermelon Lime Popsicles from Daily Dish Recipes inspired by Watermelon Crawl by Tracy Byrd
- Fresh Peach Pie from Killer Bunnies, Inc. inspired by Sweet Sweet Pie by PWEI
- Jammin’ Oatmeal Cookies from What Smells So Good? inspired by Jammin’ by Bob Marley
- Many Flavors Whipped Cream from Noshing with the Nolands inspired by Whipped Cream and Other Delights by Herb Albert and the Tijuana Brass
- Peach Basil Pie from The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen inspired by Peaches by POTUSA
- Pina Colada Poke Cake from Cookin’ Mimi inspired by Two Pina Coladas by Garth Brooks
- Peach Donuts with Brown Sugar from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks inspired by Peaches by POTUSA
- Peach Strudel with Honey Bourbon Frozen Yogurt from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures inspired by My Favorite Things from The Sound of Music & Wild Honey by U2
- Rainbow Pops from The Urban Mrs inspired by Ice Ice Baby by Vanilla Ice
- Salted Ripple Chip No-Churn Ice Cream from Cupcakes & Kale Chips inspired by Ice Cream by Sarah McLachlan
- Salted Peanut Swirl Peanut Butter Ice Cream from girlichef inspired by Salt Peanuts by The Quintet
- Shall We Dance? Fairy Cakes from The Ninja Baker inspired by Shall We Dance from the Japanese Film
- Sugar Crusted Zucchini Bread from That Skinny Chick Can Bake inspired by Sugar, Sugar by the Archies
- Tangerine Sorbet from Webicurean inspired by Tangerine Speedo by Caviar
- Yeasted Banana Bread from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner inspired by I Like Bread and Butter by The New Beats