Breakfast is one of those meals that I could eat all day long, every single day. I love eggs, bacon, waffles, pancakes and oatmeal. If it considered a breakfast food, then it is probably safe to say that I love to eat it. I also love that it is completely acceptable to eat breakfast foods for any meal of the day. I can remember my dad making breakfast for dinner on the nights when we needed a simple, easy meal. Pancakes were a classic dinner in our house.
During the week, my breakfasts usually consist of eggs and waffles or an egg scramble with lots of vegetables. You could probably say that I have a thing for eggs. I love creating savory dishes with just a hint of sweetness. When I make breakfast for dinner, I usually lean more towards the savory side. Since I had a ball of my whole wheat pizza dough sitting in the freezer, I thought it would be fun to make a breakfast pizza. The breakfast pizzas that I normally see always use scrambled eggs and sausages. I didn’t want a normal breakfast pizza for dinner. I wanted one that felt like dinner but tasted like breakfast.
When I was thinking about what ingredients I love on pizza, bacon, spinach and tomato instantly came to mind. Those three ingredients don’t really go with scrambled eggs though. I decided that putting fried egg on top of each slice would bring a sophisticated flare to the pizza and give the flavor of breakfast. Of course, I needed to choose the right cheese to go with this delicious pizza. The delicious pizza that came out of the oven was one of the best I have ever eaten. My boyfriend was a little worried when I told I wanted to put a fried egg on the pizza but he loved this pizza MORE than the one I made a few weeks ago.
Bacon, Spinach and Tomato Breakfast Pizza
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Keywords: breakfast entree tomatoes spinach bacon eggs
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 8 slices of thick cut bacon, chopped into fourths
- 1 tablespoon polenta
- 4 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 ball of whole wheat pizza dough, at room temperature
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 cup spinach, chopped
- 3 large plum tomatoes, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 cup shredded asiago cheese
- 4 large eggs
Place the oven rack on the bottom of the oven. Preheat the oven to 500 degrees F.
In a large skillet, cook bacon until it is just under done, 5 to 10 minutes, turning occasionally. Remove bacon from skillet and place on a paper towel to absorb the excess fat.
Spread polenta evenly onto a baking sheet. Oil a clean work surface with 2 teaspoons of olive oil. Using a rolling pin, roll the pizza dough on the work surface until it is about 1/4 inch thick. Place pizza dough onto the baking sheet. Put the pizza dough in the oven on the bottom rack. Bake the pizza dough for 3 minutes or until the crust is set. Remove the crust from the oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes.
Brush the crust with 2 teaspoons of olive oil and the minced garlic. Spread the chopped spinach evenly across the entire crust. Place the tomatoes and bacon on the spinach evenly spaced. Sprinkle the cheese on top of the toppings and pizza crust. Place the pizza back in the oven on the bottom rack. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until the cheese has melted and the bottom of the crust is golden brown.
Crack a large egg into a skillet over medium high heat. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Flip the egg and cook for 1 minute or until the egg is over easy. Repeat this process for the other 3 eggs.
Remove the pizza from the oven and slice into 4 large pieces. Place each slice on a large dinner plate. Top each each slice with a fried egg. Serve and enjoy!
For more great breakfast for dinner inspired recipes, check out what the rest of the Sunday Supper group came up with:
- Tres Leches Pancakes from La Cocina de Leslie
- French Toast Casserole with Sautéed Apples from The Foodie Army Wife
- Gluten Free Breakfast Pizza from Blueberries And Blessings
- Basic Vegan Waffles from Killer Bunnies, Inc
- Kale, Bacon, Brown Rice Crustless Quiche from Shockingly Delicious
- Bacon Egg and Potato Breakfast Tacos from Cookin’ Mimi
- Steak and Egg Tostadas from The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Breakfast Bowls from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Bacon and Egg Waffles from The Urban Mrs
- Homemade Lox from Growing Up Gabel
- Seattle Sandwiches (Lox, Shmear, & A Fried Egg) from Juanita’s Cocina
- Bacon & Brie Potato Bread Strata with Roasted Pears from Eat, Move, Shine
- Saucy Ham and Cheese Breakfast Sliders from Daily Dish Recipes
- Elderberry Flower Pancakes from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Prosciutto, Gorgonzola and Rosemary Strata from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Italian Turkey Meatballs (With a Secret) from What Smells So Good?
- Bacon, Spinach and Tomato Breakfast Pizza from Runner’s Tales
- Red Pepper and Egg Galette from Healthy. Delicious.
- Waffles – One Plate, Two Ways: Sweet & Savory from Foxes Love Lemons
- Steak & Egg Bagel Sandwich from girlichef
- Florentine Benedict from Supper for a Steal
- Oatmeal Ice Cream from Treats & Trinkets
- Banana Waffles with Peanut Butter Syrup from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Baked Berry French Toast from Table For Seven
- Open Faced BTC Sandwich from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Crustless Spinach Quiche from The Hand That Rocks The Ladle
- Bacon ‘n Eggs Bread Pudding from gotta get baked
- Denver Breakfast Ring from Curious Cuisiniere
- Copycat Japanese McDonald’s from Ninja Baking
- One Pan Full English Fry-up from Food Lust People Love
- Crumpets with Whipped Orange Honey from Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Leek, Mushroom and Gruyère Quiche from Hip Foodie Mom
- Joe’s Special, the Original San Francisco Treat from Webicurean
- Dark Chocolate, Orange & Pistachio Greek Yogurt Cups from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Gluten Free Tomato Basil Crepes form No One Likes Crumbley Cookies
- Sour Cherry Crisp from Pies and Plots
- Cream Dried Beef and Waffles from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Sausage breakfast casserole from My cute bride
- Almond Rice Crepes Stuffed With Sweet Potatoes & Peas from Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Zucchini Pancakes with Sautéed Tomatoes and Feta from Ruffles & Truffles
- Apple, Bacon, and Dubliner Cheese Stuffed French Toast from Neighborfood
- Dulce de Leche Stuffed French Toast from Basic N Delicious
- Hangtown Fry and Wine Pairings with Breakfast for Dinner from ENOFYLZ Wine Blog
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter each Sunday. We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm EST. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here → Sunday Supper Movement.