Happy Father’s Day! Today, I am going to a baseball game with my dad and I can’t think of a better way to spend the day.
Growing up, I was definitely a Daddy’s Girl. My favorite thing to do with my father was cooking. My mom was the baker in our house and taught me the value of following recipes exactly. On the other hand, my dad taught me that sometimes you have to chuck the recipe out the window and go with your gut. He loved to experiment with spices and flavors. He loved to take the ordinary and make it extraordinary with a dash of this or that and a handful of chopped garlic. Yes a handful! My dad LOVES garlic To this day, he still raves about The Stinking Rose, a restaurant in San Francisco devoted to garlic. He only went there once and it was 20 years ago but he still raves about it.
Since today is Father’s Day, I decided to create a recipe that my father would want to eat on his day. So I asked him what he would want to eat, no matter what. After all, he should get to choose the meal he eats today. Right? His response was simply grilled fish. Then he clarified that he would want a grilled whitefish, like grouper or cod. Something light and flakey and grilled to perfection. My immediate thought was a grilled with a blueberry mango salsa, which led to the question as to what type of fish would go with that. My father suggested tilapia or mahi mahi.
Over the last two weeks, my father and I have discussed what to spices should go in the marinade and what ingredients to use in the salsa. I have really enjoyed talking this process through with my dad. In the end, the recipe that I created (with my father’s help) is a dish that my dad would really enjoy. The citrus marinade gave the fish a light and refreshing flavor while the salsa added a sweet and spicy kick. It would go great with a brown rice or quinoa and a steamed vegetable like green beans or broccoli.
- 4 tilapia fillets, 5-6 ounces each
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), plus extra for brushing
- 1 orange, zested and juiced
- 4 clove of garlic, chopped
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 mango, cubed
- ½ cup of blueberries
- ⅓ cup chopped bell pepper
- ¼ cup jalapeno, seeded and chopped
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
- ½ tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
- ½ tablespoon honey
- In a small mixing bowl, combine orange juice, orange zest, and olive oil. Whisk until thoroughly mixed. Add garlic, salt and pepper. Place tilapia fillets in an air tight container or in a large freezer bag. Pour marinade over fillets and seal container. Lightly toss to make sure fillets are completed coated. Place container in refrigerator for 30 to 60 minutes.
- While the fillets are marinating, prepare the grill. Brush the fillets with additional olive oil. Grill until the tilapia just flakes with a fork, about 5 minutes on each side.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine mango, blueberries, bell peppers, and jalapeno. Lightly toss. In another small bowl, whisk together lime juice and honey. Just before serving, add the lime-honey mixture and cilantro to the blueberry mango salsa.
- Top each fillet with ¼ of the blueberry mango salsa. Serve and enjoy!
Be sure to check out these other great dishes inspired by the fathers of the #SundaySupper community:
Dad’s Favorite Main Dishes:
- Father’s Day Ribs by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Chorizo Burgers by La Cocina de Leslie
- Whiskey Sliders by Cravings of a Lunatic
- Beer Can Chicken by Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Pesto Shrimp Roll Sandwich by Growing Up Gabel
- Cast Iron Filet Mignon with Wine Sauce by I Run For Wine
- Grilled Tilapia with Blueberry Mango Salsa by Runner’s Tales
- Chicken Wings for Dad by The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Fish with Black Bean Sauce by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Spaghetti with Homemade Meatballs by Curious Cuisiniere
- Tamale Pie Ring by Treats & Trinkets
- Grill-Roasted Chicken & Vegetables by Foxes Loves Lemons
- Grandma Papina’s Lamb Stew by Webicurean
- Barbecue Beans and Ribs by Food Lust People Love
- Skillet Meat Lasagna by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Panko Crusted Snapper by Supper for a Steal
- Gluten Free Bourbon Honey Grilled Pork Chops by No One Likes Crumbley Cookies
- Boiled Shrimp for Father’s Day by The Catholic Foodie
- Dad’s Famous Baby Back Ribs by Family Foodie
- Turkey Stuffed Peppers by Ruffles & Truffles
- Lightened Up Fish Biriyani With Fresh Dill by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Cauliflower, Potato, and Cheddar Pierogi by Healthy.Delicious
Dad’s Favorite Appetizers and Sides:
- Spicy Caramelized Bacon Wrapped Smoked Oysters by Noshing with the Nolands
- Tuna Pasta Salad – Dad’s Recipe by Juanita’s Cocina
- Grilled Bok Choy by Shockingly Delicious
- Bacon-Cheddar Potato Salad by Home Cooking Memories
- Couscous Tabbouleh by Soni’s Food
Dad’s Favorite Desserts
- Dad’s Cheesecake by Table for 7
- Cheese Crackers by The Urban Mrs
- Coconut Cream Pie by Cookin’ Mimi
- Chewy Oat Cookies with a Banana Bread Influence by What Smells So Good?
- Homemade Nutter Butters by Pies and Plots
- Shoot for the Stars Chocolate Cupcakes by Ninja Baking
- Golden Coconut Bars by Magnolia Days
- Classic Oatmeal Raisin Cookies by NeighborFood
- Velvet Cookies by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Pecan Pie by Small Wallet Big Appetite
Come celebrate Father’s Day with the Sunday Supper Team! We would love to have you join our Twitter #SundaySupper chat starting at 7:00 pm EST. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag throughout the day to see the amazing recipes. We look forward to seeing you. To join all you need to do is follow the#SundaySupper hashtag and share your favorite tips and recipes. Be sure to check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more delicious recipes and photos.