One of my New Year’s Resolutions for 2013 is to get down to my goal weight of 140 pounds. So when I started this round of Best Body Boot Camp, I decided that I fianlly needed to weigh myself to see where I was. I am a total nerd when it comes to numbers, charts and things like that. The number that showed up on the scale was really disheartening and it made me realize that I wasn’t being truly honest with myself for almost a year.
My Weight Loss Stats:
- Starting Weight (1/20/2011): 204.80 lbs.
- Lowest Weight (9/12/2011): 149.80 lbs. (-55 lbs.)
- One Year Later (1/20/2012): 153.20 lbs. (+3.4 lbs.)
- Two Years Later (1/21/2013): 166.20 lbs. (+13 lbs.)
- Total Weight Loss: 38.6 lbs.
For the last year, I have been avoiding the scale because I knew that something wasn’t right in my life. I didn’t count calories or pay close attention to portion sizes. I just ate whatever and whenever I felt like it. Professionally, I spent 2012 in a constant state of stress and worked ridiculously long hours. Personally, I just tried to keep my head above water and attempt to be the happy person I was at the end of 2011. I can’t live my life that way anymore. I want to be the happy, healthy person that I know I am!
ENTER: Lose It!
What is Lose It?
Lose It! helps you set a daily calorie budget, track your food and exercise, and stay motivated to make smarter choices and achieve your goals. [Source]
Lose It! allows you to track everything and anything you eat and whatever activities you do. It is available on Android, iOS (iPhone, iPad, etc.), Nook, Kindle and online. The cool thing is that your account automatically syncs to the other platform. So if you are logging online, it will show up in seconds on your phone and vice versa. By keeping track of everything, you are more likely to achieve your goals!
How does Lose It work?
Lose It! helps you set goals for weight loss, exercise, macronutrient intake, blood pressure, sleep and more! You set the goals, we’ll help with the plan to achieve them. [Source]
When you sign up for your account (free or premium), you provide a few details about yourself and your goals. I entered my starting weight, goal weight, gender, height and birthday. I also chose to lose 1 lb. per week. Based on that information, Lose It! came up with a suggested daily calorie intake. Of course, this is just a recommendation and you can adjust it for own personal needs. It also gave me an approximate date when you will reach your goals.
Once you have your account set up, it is time to set goals. One thing I really like about Lose It! is that I can set multiple goals for myself to help improve my overall health and well being. Besides losing weight, I also want to increase the amount of fluids I drink each day and how many hours of sleep I want to get each night. Lose It! keeps track of your goals and progress for you. There are a bunch of different goals you can choose from depending on what you want to improve in your life. Every time you update your weight, the daily calorie budget is updated to help keep you on track.
After you set up your goals, all you need to do is start tracking. Lose It! has a huge database of nutritional information. The database includes information from restaurants, grocery stores and brand-name foods, which makes tracking super easy. I love the fact that I can scan the barcode of a product and the nutritional information would be found for me. That feature definitely saves time!
Other cool stuff:
- Apps & Devices – Lose It! is integrated with a bunch of health and fitness app and devices, including Nike+, RunKeeper, MapMyFitness and Fitbit. I connected my Nike+ account and it automatically sends the information to Lose It! every time I log a run.
- Community – Accountability is another important aspect to achieving your goals. It is one of the main reasons I started blogging. Lose It! allows you to connect with other users so you can form a support group to help and encourage you.
- Reports – I am a total geek when it comes to charts, data and reports. Lose It! generates a wide variety of reports so you can analyze what does and doesn’t work for you. One of my favorites is the My Plate Report, which actually tells you if you have had a well-balanced day in terms of calories and is based on the USDA’s food group symbol.
What I think about Lose It!
So far, I can honestly say that I like what Lose It! has to offer. The developers have done a fantastic job with creating something that can really help those interested in improving their health. Having easy access to nutritional information and the ability to track it is important to maintaining a healthy lifestyle. I love the fact that it is integrated with my Nike+ account, which means I don’t have to worry about logging my activity in multiple locations. After using Lose It! for a week, I have lost 2.8 lbs.!