NWM DC … Here I come!

Ok so I know I promised you some recaps from my birthday cruise last week but I haven’t had a chance to finish those posts yet. They are coming but I still need to finish sorting through and editing all of the photos I took (450+ photos is a lot). I do have some pretty exciting news that I wanted to share though.

NWMdchalf

A few weeks ago, I signed up for the random lottery drawing for the NWM Half Marathon in DC. Ever since I heard about the NWM races in San Francisco, I have wanted to run them because there is just something about receiving a Tiffany necklace from a man in a tuxedo as you cross the finish line of a race. These races are huge so I never really imagined that my entry would get chosen.

Yesterday afternoon, I received an email from Nike that said my entry was accepted. I was so excited that I couldn’t stop bouncing at my desk. I reread the email multiple times because I didn’t believe. When the other ladies in my group hadn’t received their emails, I really started to worry. Finally, I checked my credit card statement and was relieved to find a charge for the race entry fee. I was accepted into the Inaugural Nike Women’s Half Marathon in DC!

Now that reality had started to set in, there are a few things I still need to figure out.

• How in the world am I going to get there? Flying or driving?
  • Where am I going to stay?
  • What training plan am I going to follow?
  • How to get in some hill training in Florida?

NWM2013_DC_COURSEMAP_V5

As I start figuring everything out, I will be sure to update you. I am super excited to have the opportunity to run this race on April 28th! I have a few more races between now and then so I need to stay focused on them.

Comments

1. says

Rachel, this is awesome!!!! I’m so happy for you (and jealous of the amazing Tiffany medal you will receive!)! How’s the marathon training going? We need to do lunch soon :)

• says

Thanks Megan! I am so excited to be running this race! Marathon training could be going better but I am going to just try to enjoy the race as much as possible. Lunch sounds great! :)

2. says

I’m running this too!
    I’m SO excited. I’m pretty sure I’ve figured out where I’m going to stay near the start/finish I just need to bite the bullet and make the reservation. I’m definitely flying because I hate long car rides but would be up for splitting a room with fellow bloggers. :)

• says

Awesome! My boyfriend is probably going to be traveling with me for the weekend so sharing a room may not work. We will definitely have to meet up during that weekend though. :)

3. says

Hey! I’m an avid reader of your blog and live right outside of DC. I’ve decided not to run the race because of $$, but maybe next year! Anyways I just wanted to let you know that if you need any advice about the area (food, hotel, metro, etc) just let me know and I can help as much as I can.

• says

Any advice I can get would be awesome! I haven’t been to DC in a really long time. I am excited about the race but also really nervous about the traveling to an unfamiliar place. According the course map, the race is going to start on Pennsylvania Ave. I would love to find a place to stay that is within walking distance or very close to a metro station.

• says

I do know that around the area and most places in DC can be expensive but if you stay in Virginia across the river in Crystal City, Pentagon City, or Rossyln it would be cheaper and only a 20 min metro ride. Knowing DC races many people will be in the same situation staying in Virginia riding metro..and they open early so it won’t be a problem to travel that way. Hope this helps, good luck!

4. Nicole says

I was just in DC and the course really is pretty flat…similar to a Disney race. I’m in Florida too, and glad that this won’t be hilly, like SF! No easy way to train for that in FL! ;-)

• says

Thanks for the heads up! The course description said it was “fast and flat” but that doesn’t mean the same thing to us Florida girls as it does to the rest of the world. Are you running this race as well?

• says

Awesome! My “group” was selected too! I will training on the Gulf Coast for this race. I think it going to be an awesome race. I have heard so many great things about the Nike Women’s Races in San Fran.