I am absolutely in love with my Garmin 405CX Sports Watch! It is everything that I wanted and so much more. Since I received it on Christmas, I have used it for every single run. In fact, I haven’t been on a treadmill since I was on my cruise at the end of November. I think that part of the reason I have been so good with sticking to my training schedule is the because of my Garmin. So with that being said, I figured it is finally time to give you guys a proper review of it.
- Keeps track of everything! By everything, I really do mean that this watch keeps track of everything but the weather, including, time, distance, pace, heart rate and calories. I love numbers and statistics so this is definitely a huge bonus for me.
- Super-sensitive, very accurate GPS. When I check the accuracy of the GPS satellites, it is always less than 25 feet, which is pretty accurate. Better yet, when I check out my actual route on the computer, it shows every little twist and turn that I make and which side of the sidewalk I am running on.
- Post-workout details on the computer are extensive. The Garmin Connect website is an amazing tool that helps you analyze all of the data that the watch collects during your run.
Virtual Training Partner. This is an awesome feature. If you can set the average pace you would like to maintain throughout your run, the virtual training partner will “run” at that pace. While you are running, you can check to see how you are doing compared to the training partner. The best part is that if you finish your run at an average pace better than you wanted then you have won the race! The Garmin even puts “You Win!” on the screen.
- Customizable workouts. Another feature that I really like is creating custom workouts. You can either create workouts on the Garmin itself or on the Garmin Connect website and then upload them. Workouts can be simple (based on time, distance or heart rate), interval, heart rate or advanced (such as complicated speed intervals or tempo runs).
- Ability to set goals that you want to achieve. If you are goal oriented like I am, then you will really like this feature. On the Garmin Connect website, you can set any goal you would like to achieve and then sync with the Sports Watch. Every time the watch turns on, it will update you on your goal.
- Wireless synchronization. The Garmin 405CX doesn’t need to be plugged into a computer in order to upload the data. Instead, it wirelessly syncs through a USB antenna plugged into your computer.
- Heart Rate Monitor included in the box. Since I am such a numbers person, knowing my heart rate is a one of the things I am always curious about. Not having to worry about purchasing a heart rate monitor separately was a huge bonus for me.
- It is an actual WATCH. This Sports Watch doesn’t just give statistics and data related to your physical activity but it is also a functioning watch. At my first half marathon, someone said to me that I wasn’t a real runner because I didn’t have a sports watch like everyone else. Of course, that same person continually asked me what time it was since I was wearing a normal watch. I will never have to worry about knowing what time it is with my Garmin.
- It is stylish! The design of this watch is not nearly as bulky as some of the other designs available. I also liked the fact that it came in blue.
- Not a true multi-sport sports watch. While this watch can handle other sports besides running (such as biking or walking), it is not easy to switch between them. Garmin does make multi-sport watches that can be switched with the press of a button but the 405CX is not one of them. This isn’t really a big deal for me I don’t ride bicycles and I don’t switch between cardio workouts.
- Only beeps. This watch beeps and only beeps. It does not have a vibrate option like some of the other Garmin watches.