Last week, I told you about my goal for the Athleta Iron Girl Clearwater Half Marathon and how I was going to achieve it with my new training schedule. Rather than share with you the gory details of an easy 2 mile run or which yoga DVD I did each day, I have decided to do a weekly wrap up of my daily workouts and what my next week will look like.
- Monday, 1/9/12 – Yoga
- Yoga Conditioning for Athletes DVD – 56 minutes
- Pilates Body Sculpting DVD – 34 minutes
My legs were still really sore today from Saturday’s half marathon, which only reinforced how undertrained I actually was for this race. I wanted to at least do my hour long Yoga DVD tonight in hopes of stretching out my very tight muscles. When I went to grab my Yoga DVD, I noticed my Pilates, which I literally haven’t done in years. Since I was interested in getting a little bit of strength training in today, I decided to do both DVD. I forgot how much core work is involved with Pilates!
- Tuesday, 1/10/12 – Easy Run (2 miles @ 12:26)
- 1.65 miles, 20:04 minutes, 12:07 min/mile avg. pace, 147 BPM avg. HR
- AM Yoga DVD (Standing Poses) – 22 minutes
Tonight, I met my running group to share stories from the race weekend. Several of the women had run the marathon the day after I ran the half. I was interested in learning how it went for them. None of us really wanted to tackle the 50 minute run that everyone else was doing so we decided on an easy 20 minutes. It wasn’t exactly the 2 miles listed on my training schedule but it was just enough to stretch my legs. When I got home, I decided to do a short yoga workout to ensure my legs didn’t get too angry with me.
- Wednesday, 1/11/12 – Kettlebells + Yoga
- Kettlebells – UBSC Vol. 2 DVD – 46 minutes
- The Grind Workout – 20 minutes
- The Finisher Workout – 6 minutes
- Bonus Killer Abs Workout – 13 minutes
- Yoga – AM Yoga DVD (Twists) – 25 minutes
My legs were feeling really good today so I decided to add my kettlebell training back into the mix. My goal is to do at least three strength/kettlebell training workouts each week throughout this training cycle. I am hoping that this will help me with one of my New Year’s Resolutions. After my kettlebell workout, I popped in one of my favorite Yoga DVDs and did a short workout.
- Thursday, 1/12/12 – Tempo Run (Warm Up, 3 miles @ 10:46, Cool Down)
- 5.33 miles, 59:12 minutes, 11:07 min/mile avg. pace, 171 BPM avg. HR
- Mile 1 – 11:35 min/mile
- Mile 2 – 10:16 min/mile
- Mile 3 – 10:30 min/mile
- Mile 4 – 11:35 min/mile
- Mile 5 – 11:19 min/mile
- Mile 0.33 – 11:51 min/mile
- Yoga – AM Yoga DVD (Standing Poses) – 22 minutes
I have some serious issues when it comes to this whole pacing thing. As you can see from my splits, the portion of my run that was supposed to be at Tempo pace was not exactly on target. In fact, I was still feeling the effects of being dehydrated and ended up getting a really bad side cramp during mile 4. My average pace for the middle 3 miles was actually 10:47 min/mile but I am pretty sure that is not how a tempo run is supposed to work. When I got home from my running group, I felt like doing another short Yoga workout so I popped in my favorite DVDs.
- Friday, 1/13/12 – Easy Run (2 miles @ 12:26)
- 2.00 miles, 23:18 minutes, 11:39 min/mile avg. pace, 152 BPM avg. HR
- Kettlebells – 34 minutes
- UBSC Vol. 1 DVD
- Warm Up – 6 minutes
- Quick Full Body Fat Blast Workout – 12 minutes
- UBSC Vol. 2 DVD
- Bonus Killer Abs Workout – 13 minutes
- Cool Down – 4 minutes
- Yoga – AM Yoga DVD (Forward Bends) – 23 minutes
You might be a runner if you choose to go for a 2 mile run instead of going to happy hour with some coworkers. This is exactly what happened today. I didn’t wake up early enough to get my run in before work so I made plans to go after I got home. Just before I was leaving, some friends invited me to happy hour with them. I turned them done to get my workout in! Oddly enough, it felt great to workout instead of going to the bar. I have decided to make a conscious effort to run before work on Fridays from now on. After my run, I did a short kettlebell workout and a short Yoga workout.
- Saturday, 1/14/12 – Rest
Saturday’s are my scheduled rest days so that is exactly what I did today. I considered doing a Yoga workout but I figured that my body deserved the opportunity to rest and take it easy. I was said to break my streak but I think that 5 days in a row of practicing Yoga is a pretty good streak.
- Sunday, 1/15/12 – Long Run (7 miles @ 12:26)
- 7.00 miles, 1:23:19 minutes, 11:54 min/miles avg. pace, 169 BPM avg. HR
- Mile 1 – 12:12 min/mile
- Mile 2 – 12:03 min/mile
- Mile 3 – 12:16 min/mile
- Mile 4 – 11:39 min/mile
- Mile 5 – 11:42 min/mile
- Mile 6 – 11:52 min/mile
- Mile 7 – 11:33 min/mile
Today’s long run was so much better than I expected. My half marathon race last weekend was not nearly as smooth as it could have or should have been. I wasn’t sure what to expect today. My goal was to finish the distance strong. Not only did I finish strong but I also ran the entire distance!
Workout Schedule for this week:
- Monday, 1/16/12 – Kettlebells + Yoga
- Tuesday, 1/17/12 – Easy Run (3 miles @ 12:26)
- Wednesday, 1/18/12 – Kettlebells + Yoga
- Thursday, 1/19/12 – Speedwork (Warm Up, 2×1600 @ 10:10 w/800 jogs, Cool Down)
- Friday, 1/20/12 – Easy Run (3 miles @ 12:26)
- Saturday, 1/21/12 – Rest
- Sunday, 1/22/12 – Long Run (7 miles @ 12:26)